Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I Get It!! (I think?) /CMC11



This class and format is a trip!! Even though I am very active on Twitter @thegroveness and on Facebook, connecting this to a curriculum has been a tremendous learning curve for me. As a person who works within a structured format, the fluidity of this course has been something else. At the beginning, it was hard me for to imagine that my social media activity can be translated into a seedbed for learning in the college setting. In reality, the social media landscape is the new communicative space. It’s has changed the way we frame our communication skills, relationship skills, and our cognitive abilities. I originally viewed my social media as an outlet and completely separate from my academic life. This independent study has taught me that social media and academics can be in concert with one another. Instead of textbooks, lectures, syllabi, and research papers, we blog, tweet, and facebook each other and this is the work of the course. The theoretical approach of creative communication is what I expected to be involved in. In this course, I jumped right into the praxis of the creative communication. This kind of hands on learning has been beneficial for me because it removed me form a place of academic familiarity.  Even though I’m struggling, I think I get it

1 comment:

  1. By jove, I do believe you have! Congratulations. It is hard to let go of old habits and try something new and sometimes, a bit unsettling. You have embraced ambiguity in your learning and will discover many exciting ways of thinking and problem solving. Thanks for making the leap and having the faith that it will work out ... it really does!

    ReplyDelete