Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Reflections



When I begin to reflect upon the Creativity & Multicultural Communication course, it was a steep learning curve for me. As I come to the close of my journey with this course I wish I would have contributed more to the overall direction of the coursework. Since we began this semester my life has been crazy. I began to pastor a church in the Philadelphia suburbs in February and I did not anticipate how much my life would change. My schedule has been insane and my focus has not always been where it should have been. But one thing out of the many things I have learned in this unorthodox course is that Communication is multifaceted. I have always understood that being husband and father but I took on a brand new meaning since I became a pastor. Everyone does not possess the same communicative skill set. In our communicating we bring all our experiences and the diversity of experiences. So there can be a great chasm between what is said and what is heard.
While I Tweet and Facebook for my own entertainment purposes, I had a difficult time grasping using those mechanisms as “textbooks” for learning. I have always tried to keep my academic life and social networking life complete separate. This class shattered my ideology. This class taught about the connectivity of communication. There doesn’t have to be compartmentalization of how we communicate.
Lastly, this class caused me to start blogging again. My wife always encouraged me to share my perspective with whatever audience that would listen. I was hesitant but through this class I had the opportunity to share some of my views and I got some google feedback. (Especially while venting about my struggles with the class LOL.) This class was extremely different for me and I would take this again. The key is to stay engaged. Communication means noting if all parties are not engaged. It doesn’t matter if your Tweeting, Facebooking, blogging, or having Google hangouts. Engagement is crucial. #CMC11

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your new position. I am there with you on that hectic schedule. I feel like I'm running 24/7! (and I think I am...:) ) Your statement about keeping social and academic life separate is almost like keeping playing separate from learning in the life of children. I have come to realize even more from this course that all situations are learning experiences and none go single handedly as a sole social experience etc. All aspects in life are intertwined.
    Good luck again.

    ReplyDelete